Thursday, December 15, 2011

15 - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - The Crystals.



Pop stars that have courted outrage over the years.
Alice Cooper? The Sex Pistols? Eminem?
The Crystals?
Nothing to see here?
Wrong.




After achieving reasonable chart success they caused outrage, outrage I tell you, by releasing 'He Hit Me (and it Felt Like A Kiss)'. It is a loathsome piece of work, they sang well, but hey....That was followed by Let's Dance The Screw. I know. Screwing. In 1963.

Anyways, when A Christmas Gift To You, the classic festive album, came out it, featured this fantastic version of a Santa Claus is Coming to Town. The album was released on the day JFK was shot, consequently it wasn't a big hit that Xmas.

Ever the trailblazers, The Crystals pioneered the badly spoken intro years before All Saints got in on the act.
Here's that clunky intro in full:

Jimmy, I just came back from a lovely trip along the milky way,
I stopped off a the north pole to spend the holiday,
I called on old dear Santa Claus, To see what I could see
He took me to his workshop and told his plans to me
Now Santa is a busy man, he's got no time to play
He's got millions of stocking to fill on christmas day
You better write your letter now and mail it right away,
Cos he's getting ready his reindeers and his sleigh...

No comments: