Tuesday, October 4, 2011

End Of Term Report, Record Player, Vol 1.

With the Record Player resting it's weary stylus this week, I feel it's high time to take a look back at what was an interesting and entertaining set of albums, and to reveal The Record Player TOP FOUR.

If you've come across this blog before, you'll be heartily sick of reading about how fantastic it's all been, so I'll not bang on about it all too much.

Needless to say it has been great, far, far better than I expected. I never expected people to applaud vinyl, I never expected to meet so many people who are so in love with music, knowledgeable and enthusiastic and who are prepared to sit and listen to groovy sounds.

The evenings have been pretty much finding their own way.When I punted the idea to the Tyneside Cinema I knew what I wanted to do, and certainly didn't want to try and make it 'all about me'. I do witter on at the beginning, in an attempt to put people at their ease, ready for the music, and am always happy to chat on afterwards.

What I didn't expect was so many lovely folk would come, with such an open attitude, it has been most heartening and puts a spring in my step come a Friday morning.

The next seven weeks albums are those chosen from a short list of 20, which was boiled down from some 40 or so suggestions. If your favourite isn't on the list, look out, it maybe on the list should the Record Player return in the New Year.

So what have been the hits and misses of the last month?

According to ticket sales - here's the Record Player Top Four.

No 4: The Stone Roses by The Stone Roses. The lowest attendance by a country mile. I thought this would be a sure fire winner, but you proved otherwise. The vinyl - played from two separate albums wasn't that warm either.

No 3: For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver. After the relative failure of the 'Roses, I wasn't holding out much hope for this, the most modern of the selection. I was wrong. A most chilled evening.

No 2: Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd. One ticket off a sell out for this one, half way through side one and the room relaxed.

No 1: The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders from Mars - David Bowie. Top seller by a country mile. Original 1970's pressing adding depth and some surface noise. Added bonus of exclusive interview with drummer Woody Woodmansey, it was the icing on the  Record player Volume 1. Cake
Thankyou one and all.

No comments: