Wednesday, December 7, 2011

No 7 - Silent Night - Sir Richard Hawley

Of course there's always time for tradition at Christmas, and it would be very remiss of me not to include a carol or two in this line up.

One of the things that bugs me about Xmas morning is all the lah-di-dah carol services swamping the radio when I'm trying to open my first bottle of sherry. It's either that or product-line festive tunes being wheeled out. We've been listening to them in Morisons since August, so do we really need to hear them again?


What we need is some Suavity.*

Step forward Sir Richard Hawley. A man who lists amongst his favourite things his Grandad, Dad and his Uncle isn't going to make a hash of such a solid tune as Silent Night is he? And so it proves.

This croonsome version has a steel guitar solo and I think it might feature a gentle xylophone.

That's got to be better than anything Mariah Carey foghorns her way through.
Hasn't it?

*Suavity. Someone being suave or having suaveness. I think I've invented a new word.

No comments: